Other functions of government via Tag cloud for functions of government.
Look up #cofog0640 for recent online news and announcements on #cofog0640 - Street lighting (CS).
No #cofog0640 content yet?
- Start the conversation by posting and sharing and re-sharing content, questions and answers about #cofog0640 - Street lighting (CS), adding its hashtag #cofog0640 .
- Is content specific to a country? Then add the country's ISO code as listed per continent in the sidebar or menu.
- Empower your readers by explaining the use of the #tags.
Plenty of #cofog0640 content already?
- Consider curating it, and propose improvements for the initial sections of this page.
- Target guidelines at actors at different levels in the Societal Architecture, or in function maps of country social capital wikis.
- Be aware of the Sustainable development goals (#SDGs) that matter for this function of government, and explain what each actor should do to achieve them.
What value orientations matter for this function?
Objectives: Sufficient and reliable lighting on the streets during evening, night and morning.
Private sector roles
Objectives: profitable participation in technology life-cycles
Options: (1 - business-as-usual) use lobby power, lock-in and knowledge access hurldes to push technology life-cycles beyond their ecological optimum.
(2 - recommended) Enable rapid buy-in of proven new technologies in multi-stakeholder strategies.
Public sector roles
Objectives: optimal service levels for minimal total cost of ownership and minimal ecological footprint.
Options: (1 - business-as-usual) non-critical following of the vendors and solution providers.
(2 - recommended) Incentivise solution providers for rapid adoption of ecologically/economically optimal solutions.
For the function in a territory:
What are feasible objectives & options for delivering this function of government? Taking into consideration dependencies on the country's resource endowments, what options exist to achieve which objectives for this function of government?
Objectives: Low energy use, long life-time of the lighting solution, low cost of ownership
Options: LED (see the report Making Global Street Lighting Led Based), FIPEL (see the Dec. 6, 2012 article of Eletronics Weekly)
Objectives: Low total cost of ownership, high reliability, low carbon footprint.
Gaps and diagnostics: What goes wrong and why?
Gaps can be articulated with respect to a result framework or the Sustainable development goals (#SDGs). One must take into consideration the level of scope, and its level of development (in a peer group).
0. No street lighting
1. Street lighting based on fluorescent lamps
2. LED-based street lighting
3. Street lighting based on Field-Induced Polymer Electroluminescent (FIPEL)
What guidelines can be formulated for delivering this function of government?
The guidelines for actors at the various level of scope had better be informed by a Theory of Change that is aligned with a strong diagnostic hypothesis for the function of government.
Private sector: producers of ligthing solutions and related services.
Public sector: local or regional government agencies responsible for street lighting.
- Public private partnerships which may involve cooperatives1 may offer suitable models for delivering certain functions of government! What are (open access) best practices? What are workable public-private boundaries in delivering this function?
- The level of scope in guidelines is reflected in the socio-technical level of roles. Each role must be defined in one of Pico roles, Micro roles, Meso roles or Macro roles. When a role is referenced here, its definition page should also contain a link to this page.
For each function of government a substantial number of online resources are available. Some of these resources are listed here. Additions can be suggested in comments, or posts using #cofog0640.
- COFOG description of #cofog0640 - Street lighting (CS)
Class-level Function of Government maps under #COFOG06 - Housing and Community Amenities: