Guidance on content patterns and key concepts: Global Partnership — scope — social architecture — actor maps — statute books — initiative books — resource books — three realm maps — government functions — industry sectors — municipal circles
What does it mean to strengthen citizen participation in local governance and why is it important? (New Tactics in Human Rights).
Just before the start of the 2012 Olympics, the London Dashboard was launched. How about maintaining a social capital wiki page for your municipality? Such as the one of Lacub, in Abra province in the Philippines?
Strengthening Local Capacity
What can you do to strengthen your municipality's development capacity?
As a governor or as mayor of a big city …
Otherwise, you could make a constructive difference with as little as a blog, a Facebook Page or Group, or a url. You could use these as low hurdle channels to give and collect comments on local governance and development, and you could have them listed in your municipality's social capital wiki page.
Social capital wiki page
|A municipal social capital page in local languages supports your neighbourhood's resilience and development communications in two ''dialogue'' streams|
|Monitoring Stream: In each municipality, anyone can give comments, propose, monitor and evaluate initiatives using his or her preferred social medium channel, with options listed in the Public Monitoring Window.|
|Participation Stream: A (local) participation content steward and (municipal) Access to Information officers structure compelling content in the (municipal) social capital page for oversight, easy access and navigation by the local constituency. The dashboard content typically covers local initiatives and resources and links them into locally relevant public and private sector maps.|
A Public Monitoring Window is needed for each administrative unit in each country of the world. These units are known, and can be found via the Administrative division link at each country's map. Currently, there exist domestic development dashboards for: European Union, India, Maroc (en français), Nepal, Philippines, Tanzania and the United States
Further (domestic) social capital wikis will be created upon request.
Additional exploratory municipal development content (currently in the Actor Atlas) will gradually be moved to the suitable suitable social capital wiki. This content includes:
- Nepal » Nārāyaṇī » Chitwan » Dhampuse
- Kenya (linkages to national open data),
- India (some content only), and
- United States (link to Map My Community service of FindYouthInfo.gov).
Class-level Sector maps in support of Domestic and Local Economy
In the domestic development dashboards, at the country, province or state level, under tab Sectors, class-level sector maps that are relevant for local economic development can be listed. This is work in progress though.
Some examples of ISIC class-level sector maps and their use:
- 9101 - Library and archives activities: The status in your municipality regarding library and archives activities can be addressed under the heading Recreation, culture and religion (with impact also for Education and General Public Services). Whether the creation or improvement of library and archives activities should be a (government or private sector) priority can be addressed in comments (for consideration by the municipal council, local entrepreneurs, or public-private joint initiative).
- 0111 - Growing of cereals (except rice), leguminous crops and oil seeds and 0112 - Growing of rice could be used for reference by extension workers and farmers with access to the internet.
- 8413 - Regulation of and contribution to more efficient operation of businesses
- 8412 - Regulation of the activities of providing health care, education, cultural services and other social services, excluding social security
Each class-level sector map is embedded in a section-level sector map as is evident from the bread-crumbs under its title.
For instance in Sector Maps » O - Public administration and defence; compulsory social security » 8421 - Foreign affairs, the class-level sector map 8421 - Foreign affairs is embedded in the section-level sector map O - Public administration and defence; compulsory social security.
Towards Inclusive Local Institutions
The recommendation to governments or civil society groups is to create, maintain and openly publish National, Provincial and Municipal social capital maps including sets of sector maps at the ISIC Class level for all industries, as well as Government Function maps for all functions of government. National and — where it is useful local — map sets should be aligned with their international counterparts that are in focus in this Actor Atlas.