There is one thing everyone using social media can do. It is sharing development content using sustainable development goal or target hashtags.
In the new Global Partnership, Civil society organisations can play a vital role in giving a voice to people living in poverty, who include disproportionate numbers of women, children, people with disabilities, indigenous and local communities and members of other marginalised groups. They have important parts to play in designing, realising, and monitoring this new agenda. They are also important providers of basic services, often able to reach the neediest and most vulnerable, for example in slums and remote areas.
In a new partnership, CSOs will have a crucial role in making sure that government at all levels and businesses act responsibly and create genuine opportunities and sustainable livelihoods in an open-market economy. Their ability to perform this role depends on an enabling legal environment and access to due process under the law, but they should also commit to full transparency and accountability to those whom they represent.
Source: Report of the High-Level Panel on the Post-2015 Development Agenda (May 2013).
Istanbul Principles guide the work and practices of civil society organizations in both peaceful and conflict situations, in different areas of work from grassroots to policy advocacy, and in a continuum from humanitarian emergencies to long-term development.
In the media
"Civil society organisations" in the tree of "Macro"
- Civil society organisations
- Ethnic group
- Financial Stability Board (FSB)
- Global Partnership
- Government Accountability Office
- High-level political forum on sustainable development
- Human Rights Council
- International institutions
- Internet Governance Forum
- Investor (lender)
- Local Authorities
- Member State of the UN
- National Government
- National Knowledge Commission
- National Statistical System
- Non-governmental organization (NGO)
- Parliamentary Committees
- Parliamentary Monitoring Organization
- Philanthropic donors
- Professional Regulation Commission
- Recipient government
- Scientists and Academics
- Social Impact Investor
- Technology Bank
- UN Economic and Social Council
- UN General Assembly
- UN International Court of Justice
- United Nations
- United Nations Statistics Division
- WIPO Standing Committee on Copyright and Related Rights