There is one thing everyone using social media can do. It is sharing development content using sustainable development goal or target hashtags.
A legislature is a kind of deliberative assembly with the power to pass, amend, and repeal laws. In the doctrine of the Separation of powers it is one of the three branches of the state alongside the executive and the judiciary. Its functions include representation of the people, law-making and oversight of the executive. Legislatures are known by many names, the most common being parliament and congress, although these terms also have more specific meanings.
Measures that could be taken to strengthen legislatures include the following (United Nations Public Administration Network, UNPAN):
- Creating national constitutions that specify the legislature’s structure and functions and provide it with adequate power, authority and constitutional legitimacy to control the excesses of the executive;
- Establishing good working methods for Parliament and its sub-units, with respect to management of time, the legislative agenda and disciplinary rules;
- Enhancing the legislative and management skills of legislatures and their aides, including skills in drafting legislation, conducting investigations for committee work and handling the budget and budgetary process;
- Structuring or restructuring the organizational set-up of parliamentary committees and improving their effectiveness by building capacities for process skills such as negotiation and mediation;
- Developing greater public awareness of the legislature’s work and significance by, for example, broadcasting parliamentary sessions on national radio and television, keeping most legislative and committee sessions open to the public and engaging in formal and informal education about the role of the legislative branch;
- Strengthening legislators’ outreach to and communication with their constituencies by establishing local, staffed constituency offices, using communications technologies for conveying opinions, and encouraging legislators to hold or attend town meetings in their districts and participate in other forums.
- Linking national legislatures to local legislatures so that there is no contradiction between the legislatures at these different levels.
- On strengthening legislatures, Section III.2 of Reconstructing Public Administration after Conflict: Challenges, Practices and Lessons Learned, World Public Sector Report 2010 (United Nations Public Administration Network, UNPAN).
- In A Practical Guide to Constitution Building by CONSTITUTIONNET, the chapter on The Design of the Legislature.
- Legislature (Wikipedia).
- #cofog0111 - Executive and legislative organs (CS)
- the functions ''representation of the people, law-making and oversight of the executive'' cover all functions of government
In the media
"Legislature" in the tree of "Macro"
- Civil society organisations
- Ethnic group
- Financial Stability Board (FSB)
- Global Partnership
- Government Accountability Office
- High-level political forum on sustainable development
- Human Rights Council
- International institutions
- Internet Governance Forum
- Investor (lender)
- Local Authorities
- Member State of the UN
- National Government
- National Knowledge Commission
- National Statistical System
- Non-governmental organization (NGO)
- Parliamentary Committees
- Parliamentary Monitoring Organization
- Philanthropic donors
- Professional Regulation Commission
- Recipient government
- Scientists and Academics
- Social Impact Investor
- Technology Bank
- UN Economic and Social Council
- UN General Assembly
- UN International Court of Justice
- United Nations
- United Nations Statistics Division
- WIPO Standing Committee on Copyright and Related Rights